Loading images...

Coronavirus update from Somerset County Council – 04/05

Posted on 5th May, 2020 in News

All our help and information for 04/05/2020 is now available in a single place on the SCC website https://www.somerset.gov.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-latest-advice/

This page is refreshed through the day so please check in regularly to keep across developments and news.

Top stories today:

County Council steps up to support Somerset in time of need

Somerset County Council is stepping up operations to support Somerset’s communities and keep people safe during the coronavirus emergency.
The County Council will be increasing spending in several key areas in response to the pandemic.

This includes expected spending of in excess of £10m for vital personal protective equipment (PPE) needed by carers, social workers and other key staff, £2m on new pop-up care homes to ease the pressure on the NHS, plus millions more to protect vulnerable children, childcare settings and key contractors.

The major areas of expected spend include:

  • Paying a 10% increase to all care home providers to help them stay financially viable through the crisis – £1m/month (minimum of three months)
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Government provides 30% of the PPE required by key workers in Somerset, Somerset County Council is funding the remaining 70% – predicted cost £10m
  • Setting up and running two new care homes in Yeovil and Wellington – £1m each

Read more

NHS South West urges people to continue their vaccinations

The NHS is urging people across the South West to continue getting their regular immunisations during the COVID-19 pandemic. There are concerns that children and adults may miss their essential, routine vaccinations such as the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccination and whooping cough (pertussis) for pregnant women. GP practices across the South West continue to offer all routine immunisations and are doing so in a safe way in accordance with Government social distancing and infection control guidelines.

Read more

Tell us what you love about our country or draw a dragon for #SomersetDay

It’s Somerset Day on 11 May and though it’s not the time for events or gatherings, we can still celebrate our fabulous county together virtually. We will be joining the festivities online and asking people to tell us why they love Somerset using the #SomersetDay and #SomersetProud hashtags on Twitter or Instagram.

Tell us what you miss most about our amazing county and what you’ll be doing as soon as lockdown is lifted. It could be visiting a shop, scene, person, place, sound, taste, walk – or your favourite place to watch the sunset. Make a pledge to visit your favourite place as soon as the restrictions are lifted. If you’re on Twitter, tag @SomersetCouncil in too and we’ll share as many as we can And for the children – we want to get a dragon alongside a rainbow in everyone’s windows! We’re asking children to draw a dragon or colour in our very own Sparky the dragon – put them in your window and tag us in photos
Go to this link to download Sparky which you can colour in.

Read more

Bounce Back Loans scheme now live

Small firms are to get access starting this week to 100% taxpayer-backed loans offering firms up to £50,000 within days of applying. In order to apply for the loan, small businesses will be required to fill in a two-page self-certification form online. The loan terms mean that no capital or interest repayments will be due for one year. Instead, the government will pay the interest for the first 12 months.

Read more

Every Mind Matters

Every Mind Matters is now tailored to support people through social distancing and home isolation. Find guidance, advice and tips on how to maintain your mental wellbeing if you need to stay at home or are worried and anxious about the outbreak.

Read more